D.S. didn't consider him self an artist until the Official Folk Art Center of South Carolina called many years ago to inform him, that he was now one of their new "Artist". Life changed after that to "Living the dream with a camera".
D.S. "WAS" just another typical photographer. But he had a vision some fifty years ago to learn to be good at it and digital was his ultimate salvation. It offered the ability to capture what the "Mind's Eye" was seeing. The self learning process was fun but takes considerably longer to teach the old dog says DS, but he has been rushing thru the many doors that the camera has opened for the last 17 years with great enthusiasm and pleasure.
Thru the years landscape photography has risen to the top as being his main love. He does shoot a little of everything that catches his eye, Street photography, music events, car shows, and the two new projects that he is extremely excited about, one that documents the decline in small town America, called "Rural Abandonment", and the other one is called "Miksang" photography. He is exploring this type of art form that he has been shooting since the early days of film, but didn't know why he liked it and didn't think anybody else would either, but that is changing. Miksang is an old Tibetan word, loosely translated to mean "Good Eye". Seeing the unseen. And understanding this brings a new light to the way of shooting the unusual.
He has been fortunate enough to be published in several magazines here and abroad, received three Artist-In-Residences with the State of SC, and won 40 awards and had several photographs in permanent exhibits and in private collections.
• Aiken County Government
• City Of Aiken, SC
• Aiken Tourism Board
• Gaston Livery Stables
• Aiken Homes & Lifestyle Magazine
• Oct. 2017 Won 1st. place at the "Western Carolina State Fair" in the Fine Art Photography.
• 2017 May-Won 3rd place in photography at Aiken Artist Guild-Members Show
• 2017 Won 1st. and 2nd. place in Photography in the "The Dogwood Festival" at the "Jim Harrison Gallery" in Denmark, SC
• 2016 Won 2nd Place at N.Augusta Art Center
• 2015 First and second place winner in S. C. Wildlife Federation Photo Contest.
•Aiken Homes & Lifestyle Magazine-Spring Mag.
•GASTON LIVERY STABLE CALENDAR FOR 2017
•S.C.WILDLIFE CALENDAR 2017-JANUARY
•SRPFCU CALENDAR 2017-OCTOBER
•2015 COVER OF "VISIT AIKEN" MAGAZINE
• 2014 USA TODAY web site
• 2014 British mag. "Practical Photography"
• 2014 South Carolina Wildlife Magazine